Chromecast update brings custom backdrop support
At long last, Chromecast users can now change the background wallpaper image and layout. Known as Backdrops, it’s a user-defined way of customizing the home screen for your Chromecast. In other words, instead of looking at the same old images and clock, you can view news, weather, photos, and more.
With a new backdrop option, you can customize your TV screen with:
- Your favorite photo albums from Google+
- Amazing artwork from galleries and museums around the world via the Google Cultural Institute
- News and lifestyle images from The New York Times, The Guardian, Saveur and more (U.S. only)
- Satellite imagery of some of the hardest-to-reach places on Earth from Google Maps
- and even more beautiful photos from the Google+ community
In order to take advantage of the custom Backdrops you’ll need to have Chromecast 1.8.22 or later. Note that while it’s being rolled out starting from today it might take a day or two to show up on your smartphone or tablet. For those who cannot wait to get the update you can sideload the app yourself.